- 11 December 2010 | Environment
The Surfrider Foundation is celebrating a very important number for all surfers and world citizens. The organization has conquered 150 coastal victories, since 2006.
The last victory was Barack Obama's decision to place a 7-year ban on new offshore drilling in the continental United States. In four years, Surfrider and its volunteers have given up countless hours of their time to help protect our beaches and coastlines for the benefit of everyone, everywhere.
The environment and the oceans need a helping hand from everyone. Here are some highlights of the 150 victories won for your coast:
* Established a fee on single use plastic bags in Washington D.C.
* Created a marine reserve at Tres Palmas, Puerto Rico.
* Overturned a longtime surfing ban in Chicago.
* Secured regulations and commitments from local municipalities to improve water quality at Oregon's Nye Beach.
* Stopped an environmentally damaging toll road project at Trestles beach in Southern California.
Congratulations to the Surfrider Foundation and keep up the good work.