- 29 May 2013 | Environment
Main Beach, located in Long Island, New York, has been considered the best American beach for 2013 by Dr. Beach.
The top 10 for 2013 have been announced by Dr. Beach, Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University.
The first place goes for Main Beach, located in East Hampton on eastern Long Island, New York. This idyllic beach is frequented by the rich and famous.
This beach was heavily eroded by Super Storm Sandy and subsequent winter storms, yet it has largely recovered. The proud pavilion at Main Beach was little affected because it was set back several hundred feet from the water's edge.
A great team of lifeguards stands watch, making this a very safe beach for bathing and swimming.
Dr. Beach's 50 criteria is a survey of his "patients", the 650 public beaches along the U.S. coast for swimming, walking, scenery, sports, and other activities.
Beach condition, sand softness, rip currents, color of sand, turbidity, water color, floating debris, algae in water, smell, pests, presence of sewerage, trash and litter, access, safety and noise are some of the criteria involved in Dr. Beach's analysis.
Top US Beaches for 2013 by Dr. Beach:
1. Main Beach East Hampton, New York
2. Kahanamoku Beach Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
3. St. George Island State Park Florida panhandle
4. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
5. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, Hawaii
6. Barefoot Beach Bonita Springs, Florida
7. Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
9. Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina