- 26 January 2010 | Kiteboarding
The final day of the 2010 La Ventana Classic and KiteXpo was a huge one! The day began with an early 25-30 knot El Norte Wind that wiped away all bad memories of the light wind earlier in the week.
Unfortunately, the 2-mile SUP race was scheduled to happen this morning, and the racers were forced to slog their way upwind in extreme conditions. The finishers claimed that the 2-mile race was more difficult than the 12 mile island crossing! Pam Young was the only woman to finish the course after 1 hour and 45 minutes on the water!
Next on the agenda was the Kiteboarding Course Racing, which gave the spectators on the beach quite a show with all 25 competitors crowding the line at the starts. All-around good guy Damien LeRoy proved himself to be the fastest of the men while Cynthia Brown came out on top for the women.
After a few windsurfing course races, the kiteboarding Big Air/Old School Competition went off, with the crowd erupting with every huge jump. Unfortunately, the wind began to shut off during the finals, but Shawn Richman was still able to throw down to take home the title.
Afterward, the awards ceremony was held on the beach, and the Mayor of La Ventana was presented a check for over $18,000 that represents the money raised for the local community by this event. The night was capped off by La Ventana’s favorite local band LOS CULPABLES, which features the Mayor. The event after party was at Pablos, and it was Tequila Extremos for all!
2010 LA VENTANA CLASSIC RESULTS:
MENS KITE CROSSING
1) Sean Farley – Mexican World Champ of Course Racing- $1000 USD
2) Shawn Richman – Maui, Hawaii
3) Damian Leroy – Florida
WOMENS KITE CROSSING
1) Marie Leclerc – she won $1000 USD - and then donated half back to the schools!!! Canada/La Ventana 5 year Undefeated Crossing Champion
2) Cynthia Brown – Colorado / La Ventana – only racer to compete in kite crossing, SUP, Big Air, and Course Racing
3) Shane Gormley – Hood River / La Ventana
Mens Windsurf CROSSING
1) Macrae Wylde – USA / Los Barriles – 2 time overall crossing champion, 3 time windsurfing crossing champion – won $400 USD and made a nice donation
2) Lyn Preuit – USA / La Ventana
3) Tyson Poor – USA / La Ventana
Womens Windsurf CROSSING
1) Fiona Wylde – USA/Los Barriles – 12 years old!! $200 USD
2) Chris Rogers – USA / Los Barriles
3) Ellen Wylde – USA / Los Barriles see a last name pattern yet?
Sportsmen Division CROSSING
All crossed and helped raise $ for our schools – thanks!!Read your sailing instructions closely next year for starting sequences!!
Mens Kite COURSE RACING
1) Damian Leroy – $500
2) Sean Farley
3) Shawn Richman
4) Adam Koch – WA
Womens Kite COURSE RACING
1) Sandy Parker – $300
2) Ella Johnson – SF, CA
3) Cynthia Brown
4) Kirsten Ulmer
Mens Windsurf COURSE RACING
1) Wyatt Miller – Berkely, CA / La Ventana won $400 USD and donated back to the schools
2) Tyson Poor – USA / La Ventana
3) Brian Metcalf-Perez – USA / Los Barilles
4) Macrae Wylde
Womens Windsurf COURSE RACING
1) Fiona Wylde – $200 USD