Nahoon Beach | EastLondon.org.za

A South African surfer from East London is demanding R600 - €55/$80 - from the Buffalo City Municipality, after having to pay medical bill for E.coli bacterial poisoning.

Billy Kruger got the first symptoms five day after surfing at Nahoon Beach where, by the way, sharks were spotted.

The South African surfer also had to take time off work, as he started suffering from severe stomach pains and nausea.

E.coli (Escherichia coli bacteria) is often found in undercooked or raw meat, unpasteurized milk, contaminated swimming pools, oceans and lakes.

The Buffalo City Municipality does not believe there are dangerous levels of E.coli at Nahoon Beach and, apparently, refuses to pay the surfer's medical bill.

Billy Kruger's example may well be followed by many surfers around the world. Politicians and local authorities might be responsible for physical problems concerning the health of citizens in public places like beaches.