- 29 October 2010 | Surfing
The stage is set. The waves are waiting. The champagne is chilling in the freezer. It's time for the 2010 Rip Curl Pro Search, the ultimate surfing event to be held in Puerto Rico.
And there's one man waiting for so long. His name's Kelly Slater.
The North American surfer from Florida might secure his 10th crown in South America, a few thousand miles away from his Cocoa Beach, Florida.
There are four scenarios in the decision table for Kelly Slater:
- If Slater finishes Equal 3rd or better, he clinches the 2010 ASP World Title.
- If Slater finishes Equal 5th or Equal 9th, Smith must win the event to send the ASP World Title Race to Hawaii.
- If Slater finishes Equal 13th or Equal 25th, Smith must finish Equal 3rd or better to send the ASP World Title Race to Hawaii.
- Essentially, if Smith fails to finish higher than Equal 5th, Slater claims the 2010 ASP World Title.
And Jordy Smith knows what's at stake.
“My goal is the same it has been all season - make heats,” Smith said. “The rest is out of my hands.”
The 2010 Rip Curl Pro Search Puerto Rico will be a memorable surfing event.
Make sure you don't miss a bit with SurferToday.com
RIP CURL PRO SEARCH PUERTO RICO ROUND 1 MATCH-UPS:
Heat 1:Adrian Buchan (AUS), Kieren Perrow (AUS), Travis Logie (ZAF)
Heat 2:Dane Reynolds (USA), Taylor Knox (USA), Roy Powers (HAW)
Heat 3:Taj Burrow (AUS), Tiago Pires (PRT), Luke Munro (AUS)
Heat 4:Mick Fanning (AUS), Patrick Gudauskas (USA), Gabe Kling (USA)
Heat 5:Jordy Smith (ZAF), Brett Simpson (USA), Dylan Graves (PRI)
Heat 6:Kelly Slater (USA), Daniel Ross (AUS), Dillon Perillo (USA)
Heat 7: Bede Durbidge (AUS), Fredrick Patacchia (HAW), Dusty Payne (HAW)
Heat 8:Owen Wright (AUS), Andy Irons (HAW), Luke Stedman (AUS)
Heat 9: Adriano de Souza (BRA), Bobby Martinez (USA), Kai Otton (AUS)
Heat 10:Damien Hobgood (USA), Jeremy Flores (FRA), Matt Wilkinson (AUS)
Heat 11:C.J. Hobgood (USA), Jadson Andre (BRA), Tom Whitaker (AUS)
Heat 12:Michel Bourez (PYF), Chris Davidson (AUS), Adam Melling (AUS)