- 29 December 2011 | Surfing
The year 2011 had great surf stories. SurferToday readers from more than 220 countries of the world were breathless with the incredible surf stunt performed by the Hawaiian waterman, Garrett McNamara surfing the biggest wave of all time, in Nazaré, Portugal.
The 90-100ft wave was the biggest hit of the 2011, but McNamara's story was closely followed by our list of the best surf movies of all time. Twenty five surf movies that you must own and watch on your free time.
Keala Kennelly got severely injured in Teahupoo, after a terrible wipeout. Her face was in a mess, but she recovered and will be ready for future big wave challenges. It was the third most popular surf article. The Kelly Slater surf park has always been an interesting feature. SurferToday readers are delighted with the fact they will have the opportunity to surf waves everywhere, even in desert areas.
Sandra Alionço is the 2011 Miss Reef International. The Brazilian model has been crowned amongst the most beautiful women in South America and everyone agrees. In sixth place, there's a question mark. Has Garrett McNamara broken the record for the world's biggest wave ever surfed?
The best surf parks, surf pools and artificial waves are currently being designed and developed by several entrepreneurs. We've compiled the best new artificial surfing concepts and models and you seem to have enjoyed it.
Finally, in 10th place, the "Seven Ghosts" wave is discovered in Indonesia. Tom Curren and friends discovered and surfed an endless barreling wave in Sumatra, Indonesia, that breaks for 50 kilometres.
Most Popular Surf News Articles of 2011:
1. Garrett McNamara rides the biggest wave of all time
2. The best surf movies of all time
3. Keala Kennelly severely injured in Teahupoo
4. The Kelly Slater Surf Park will pump eight-foot waves
5. Sandra Alionço is the 2011 Miss Reef International
6. Has Garrett McNamara broken the record for the world's biggest wave ever surfed?
7. The best surf parks, surf pools and artificial waves
8. The twin brother of Kelly Slater
9. The biggest waves ever surfed
10. The "Seven Ghosts" wave is discovered in Indonesia