- 20 November 2008 | Surfing
Reubin Pearce was the shining star of the UK Surf Awards, held last Sunday at the Esplanade Hotel, Newquay.
The South African won the 2008 UK Pro Surf Tour in a dramatic finish in the final day of competition at the Animal Newquay Open.
Nevertheless, everyone got their names in the list of the surfing awards.
2008 SURF AWARDS – IN ASSOCIATION WITH UK PRO SURF TOUR
1. Fat Face Most Improved Surfer 2008 – Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude) This year has seen him make his mark on the worldwide surfing scene.
2. Saltrock Rookie of the Year 2008 – Winner: Jayce Robinson St Ives. The surfer with the best result in his first full year of doing the UKPST.
3. Spiezia Skin Care Most Inspirational Women’s Surfer 2008 – Winner: Gwen Spurlock (Swansea) This year has seen her bounce back from serious injury.
4. Relentless Money Move 2008 - Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay) For his 10 point barrel ride in the Thurso event, Scotland.
5. Skinners Surfers Choice Award 2008 – Winner: Oli Adams (Newquay) Voted as their favourite surfer by the surfers themselves.
6. Christian Surfers Sportsman Award 2008 – Winner: Mark Vaughan (Lantwit) For his great attitude and sportsmanship during the tour.
7. King of Watersports.com King of Waves 2008 – Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay) For his 10 point barrel ride in the Thurso event, Scotland.
8. The Animal Commitment Award.. – Winner: Mike Young (S Africa) For his commitment to surfing
9. Wavelength Most Promising Junior 2008 – Winner: Tom Butler (Newquay) Over shadowed by Reubyn and Jayce but still winning the Pro Junior tour
10. Carve Aerialist 2008 – Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude) For his progressive aerialist skills.
11. Surf Girl Most Up and Coming Female Surfer 2008 – Winner: Zoe Sheath (Isle of Wight) – Who did not loose a heat in the U16 Girls division all year
12. A1Surf – Most Inspirational Surfer 2008 – Winner: Russell Winter (Newquay) – An Inspiration to all surfers in the UK and overseas
13. Pit Pilot Underdog award. – Winner: Richard Dodd (S Africa) – Consistant performance throughout the year, never giving up.
14. Newquay Airport Best Brit surfing internationally - Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude) – Competing against Kelly Slater in the event he won his ninth world title and great performances on the ASP Pro Junior Tour.
15. UKPSA Best Surf Judge 2008 - Winner: Tony Good (Newquay)
16. UKPSA Services to the Sport of Surfing 2008 Winner: Nigel Semmens (Newquay) – A surfer who has competed at all levels throughout his career, winning all amateur titles including European title in the 80’s. Now helps many surfers by sponsoring, providing surfboards and encouraging up and coming surfers.
UK PST 2008 Champions.
U12 Open: Dale Foster (Newquay)
U16 Girls: Zoe Sheath. (Isle of White)
U16 Boys: Toby Donachie (St Merryn)
Longboard: Ben Skinner (St Agnes)
Pro Junior: Tom Butler (Newquay)
Women’s: Nicole Morgan (Ireland)
Open: Reubin Pearce (S Africa)