- 27 January 2014 | Surfing
Snapper Rocks Surfriders Club has taken out the inaugural Be the Influence Australian Boardriders Battle National Final, at Cronulla, Australia.
In a consistent 3-4ft swell, Snapper Rocks controlled day two, to take the title with 3780 points ahead of Elouera Boardriders Club (3250), Merewether Surfboard Club (3020) and Queenscliff Boardriders Club (2870).
The all-star Queensland team consisted of five-time World Champion Stephanie Gilmore, 2012 World Champion Joel Parkinson, ASP World Tour surfer Mitch Crews, former pro tour surfer Jay Phillips, leading pro junior Mitch Parkinson and top juniors Holly-Sue Coffey and Quinn Bruce.
"This was such an amazing event and experience for everyone. It's great that boardriding gets this sort of exposure and an event as big as this. I hope this is going to be a regular event and I want to congratulate my team-mates for some amazing surfing over the two days," says Joel Parkinson.
Sixteen of Australia's top clubs qualified for this weekend's event, which was the culmination of the biggest grassroots, boardriders event series in Australian surfing history with more than $100,000 in prize money.
It involved local clubs in seven State qualifying rounds and culminated in this weekend's two-day National Final at North Cronulla.
Each team of seven included two juniors (one male and one female), four Open age surfers (three males and one female) and one over 35 surfer (male or female).
An exciting event format had club teams battle it out in Pairs competition, five-person Teams competition and a Skins competition.
The National Final included a lucrative, club-take-all Skins format across 10 heats with a $1000 jackpot in each heat.
Be the Influence Australian Boardriders Battle National Final:
1. Snapper Rocks Surfriders (QLD), 3780
2. Elouera Boardriders (NSW), 3250
3. Merewether Surfboard Club (NSW), 3020
4. Queenscliff Boardriders (NSW), 2870
5. Yallingup Boardriders (WA), 2860
6. North Narrabeen Boardriders (NSW), 2660
7. Seaford Boardriders (SA), 2650
8. Kirra Surfriders (QLD), 2550
9. Werri Boardriders (NSW), 2490
10. Avoca Boardriders (NSW), 2470
11. Cronulla Sharks Boardriders (NSW), 2450
12. Torquay Boardriders (VIC), 2350
13. 13th Beach Boardriders (VIC), 2150
14. D-Bah Boardriders (QLD), 2150
15. Margaret River Boardriders (WA), 2150
16. South Arm Boardriders (TAS), 2050