- 12 February 2014 | Surfing
Windsurfing is an exciting water sport. Windsurfing gear has evolved a lot in the last two decades. Science behind hydrodynamics and aerodynamics pushed the outdoor activity into attractive markets and challenging new divisions.
Today you can easily transport mast, board, sail and boom in your car. The equipment is light and can be quickly rigged. Windsurfing is for all ages whether you want it in the waves or over flat waters.
In the 21st century, windsurfers introduced portable GPS devices to measure speed and courses. There are long distance races, competitive slalom contests and ultra fast 500-meter runs.
Windsurfers in the waves have broken all rules. Yes, they can get barreled, and yes they can bottom turn aggressively in a bomb, at Jaws or Cloudbreak. Are you a new school aerialist? That can be easily matched with a 60-foot (59 meters) wave jump. Just add a sail to the board and give it a go.
Surfers should really try windsurfing. Many windsurfers are also surfers. So, let's take a look at the ten reasons why surfers should own a windsurfer:
1. There are way too many unfavorable windy days. Those annoying onshore wind days are over. Get a windsurfing kit and enjoy the steep ramps of your local break or a nearby lake.
2. You can ride waves, too. Carve, cutback, fly, bottom-turn, float. Windsurfers are just like surfers.
3. You can enjoy the speed. Set your personal, national or world record. Drive your wrist GPS devices to incredibly fast runs over flat waters. Break the 50 knots and be a hero.
4. It's not that expensive. You can buy a brand new windsurfing kit for under $2000 or second-hand gear for less than $750.
5. It's the closest alternative in the wind sports category. Bodyboarding is not the same, and kiteboarding requires time to pull the lines. You can rig a windsurfing sail in less than five minutes
7. It works as an SUP. Tired of waves and wind? Get your windsurf board, grab a paddle and explore your local break.
8. It will add the sailing knowledge to your repertoire. Learn how wind hits the sail and how you can ride faster.
9. It's easy to learn how to windsurf. Did you know that you can learn how to windsurf in two hours? It's easy. Really.
6. Allows you to explore the outer limits of your home break. The concept of "out the back" will reveal its new meaning in windsurfing.
10. It will strengthen your arms and legs. You will build strength in the arms, legs, back, core, abs and shoulders.