- 13 February 2009 | Surfing
The victims of the deadly bushfires in Australia need assistance and support as soon as possible. Therefore Riley Balsawood Surfboards has teamed up with the Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) and United Links to lend their support and raise funds for the victims of the Victoria bushfires.
Funds will be raised by holding a raffle where the first prize is an Australian made Riley balsawood surfboard signed by the 2009 top 44 WCT surfers and past surfing world champions (this is an inestimable prize). Further prizes include Australian made, 100% organic cotton t-shirts and shaping DVD’s.
All proceeds of the raffle will go directly to the 2009 Victorian Bushfire Fund which was launched by the Red Cross in partnership with premier John Brumby and the federal government of Victoria. The fund assists the individuals and communities affected by the horrendous fires.
Raffle tickets can be purchased on www.balsasurfboardsriley.com for $10 each. Additionally, for every Riley organic t-shirt sold until March 26th $10 are donated to the fund and the customer automatically enters the raffle.
The raffle drawing will be held on 26.03.09 at 12 pm and the winner will be contacted via email and phone and will be announced on the website. The prizes will be sent anywhere around the world courtesy of United Links.
- 12 February 2009 | Surfing
The waves moved away from the left side of the beach, but were perfect in the middle of Cacimba do Padre Beach on this Wednesday of great tubes and records in the 2009 Hang Loose Pro Contest.
Defending champion of the event, Brazilian Raoni Monteiro reached incredible 18.67 points (out a possible of 20) with a 9.00 and a 9.67 score, received in two beautiful barrels. The Brazilian Andre Silva secured a great 9.70 score and in the first heat of the afternoon Brazilian Marco Polo scored the first perfect 10 point ride of the event.
In the morning, also entered the club of the 9-points score, Brazilians Charlie Brown and the local surfer of Fernando de Noronha, Sergio Lima, with all these surfers surpassing the 9 point ride of Brazilian Krystian Kymerson reached on Tuesday, which was the record of the first two days.
"I am very happy," Monteiro said. "Noronha appears that is the place that I always have a better performance. I always get high scores in the heats and I hope to continue like this. I’m trying to do the same tactic, always moving because the waves changed a lot here, and I always try to stay away from the other surfers to not get that stress of competition for a wave, so I think I´m going well. I got two great barrels and I am very happy."
With this great presentation, Raoni earn even more confidence to win again the Hang Loose Pro Contest.
"To win here for the second time is something new and I really want to win again," Monteiro said. "I’m feeling well although without sponsorship, but this give me more motivation to try to do something that nobody has yet, win here at Fernando de Noronha two times. But I have a long way, I just pass two rounds so far."
The big surprise of the day was again Brazilian Filipe Toledo, the surfer who is only 13-years old finished in second in his heat against Brazilians Ricardo Ferreira and Bernardo Lopes. He just could not overcome the Brazilian David do Carmo, who finish in first.
"I was lucky to surf in the best time of the day, with great and high waves, I took two barrels and I am very happy," Do Carmo said. "Get barrels is my favorite think on surfing, and here in this beautiful beach, hot water, I like even more. Now I will just continue training, letting things happen."
The first five heats of the Round of 48 was rolled on this Wednesday morning until the dry tide paralyzed the event, with the return scheduled for 2:30pm. Of the three foreign surfers who still in the Round of 48, only the American Darrell Goodrum competed today and he moved to the next round with Raoni Monteiro (1st), overcoming the Brazilians Jano Belo (3rd) and Wiggolly Dantas (4th).
- 09 February 2009 | Surfing
Australian surfing ace Owen Wright (Lennox Head, NSW) will get a crack at the world’s premier pro junior specialty event after taking out the ASP grade 5 Oakley Pro Junior in tricky 3-4ft beach break waves on North Stradbroke Island today.
Wright, 19, made certain he qualified for the prestigious Oakley Pro Junior Global Challenge, recording a two-wave combined total of 17.75 (out of a possible 20) to outgun Brazilian Jadson Andre in a see-sawing, man-on-man final at Main Beach, Point Lookout.
An excited Wright said he was stoked to gain selection.
“I’ve seen the footage of last year’s challenge and it looked unreal,” said Wright, who netted $7000 and 3000 rating points for his win.
“It’s really sunk in that I’m going. That event is where it’s at. I just dug deep and did it.”
Wright, who won the opening event of the 2009 ASP Australasian Pro Junior Series at Burleigh Heads last month, pulled out some big moves across the final day of competition, disposing of Coolangatta’s Jack Freestone in the quarters, Ulladulla’s Sam Wrench in the semis before dispatching of Andre in the decider.
“The win means a lot to me,” he said.
“I’ve got two wins under my belt now, so I can just relax into the next few events and just nail it.”
The lanky goofy foot rose to the challenge set by Andre, coming from behind to steal victory with a near perfect 9.5 in the final 10-minutes of the highly-anticipated clash.
Despite a last minute wave challenge by Andre, Wright held on for a narrow victory.
Final scores: Wright 17.75 def Andre 17.20
Wright said he was pleased to snare victory after a nervous start to the event.