- 20 November 2008 | Surfing
Reubin Pearce was the shining star of the UK Surf Awards, held last Sunday at the Esplanade Hotel, Newquay.
The South African won the 2008 UK Pro Surf Tour in a dramatic finish in the final day of competition at the Animal Newquay Open.
Nevertheless, everyone got their names in the list of the surfing awards.
2008 SURF AWARDS – IN ASSOCIATION WITH UK PRO SURF TOUR
1. Fat Face Most Improved Surfer 2008 – Winner: Reubyn Ash (Bude) This year has seen him make his mark on the worldwide surfing scene.
2. Saltrock Rookie of the Year 2008 – Winner: Jayce Robinson St Ives. The surfer with the best result in his first full year of doing the UKPST.
3. Spiezia Skin Care Most Inspirational Women’s Surfer 2008 – Winner: Gwen Spurlock (Swansea) This year has seen her bounce back from serious injury.
4. Relentless Money Move 2008 - Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay) For his 10 point barrel ride in the Thurso event, Scotland.
5. Skinners Surfers Choice Award 2008 – Winner: Oli Adams (Newquay) Voted as their favourite surfer by the surfers themselves.
6. Christian Surfers Sportsman Award 2008 – Winner: Mark Vaughan (Lantwit) For his great attitude and sportsmanship during the tour.
7. King of Watersports.com King of Waves 2008 – Winner: Alan Stokes (Newquay) For his 10 point barrel ride in the Thurso event, Scotland.
8. The Animal Commitment Award.. – Winner: Mike Young (S Africa) For his commitment to surfing
- 19 November 2008 | Surfing
Surf's up for Obama! Crazy Shirts honors Hawaii-born President-elect, and bodysurfer, Barrack Obama with the release of its "Obama Surfs" T-shirt.
The newly designed T-shirt is now available at select retail stores in Hawaii, Laguna Beach and San Diego, as well as online at crazyshirts.com.
"We think it's really cool that our next President is a kama'aina and wanted to commemorate this moment in history with a special design," said Crazy Shirts CEO Mark Hollander.
"People around the world saw photos of President-elect Obama showing off his body surfing skills when he was back in Hawaii this summer. Now, we have a shirt that lets everyone know that our next President knows how to live the Crazy Shirts lifestyle, too."
The front new "Obama Surfs" T-shirt reads "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, President Obama 2009" alongside a wave-riding bodysurfer and the Hawaiian Island chain, while "Obama Surfs" over a barreling wave graces the back. The shirts are available in adult sizes and retail for $25.
Founded in 1964, Crazy Shirts is among the first companies in Hawaii to design, manufacture and sell the "T-shirt" as we know it today.
- 19 November 2008 | Surfing
Summer met winter during last weekend's eighth annual Jupiter Fall Classic surfing contest.
During Saturday's preliminary rounds at Carlin Park, the temperature was in the high 80s. On Sunday, the mercury plummeted to the mid 60s.
Fortunately, the waves were good both days, said Classic president Jim McDow.
"(Saturday) were had 2 to 3 foot waves, clean and glassy," McDow said. "You couldn't ask for a better day, unless the waves were bigger.
"Winter arrived (Sunday night) but the waves were still good."
It was a great two days.
"It was fabulous," said McDow. "Any year we can have this is great. We had a great turnout. It was almost a record breaker."
The contest drew 164 pro surfers, another 30 to the Eastern Surfing Association competition for boys and girls and about 50 more to the youth surfing clinics.
The Classic drew pro surfers from all over Florida and the East Coast, said competition director Mike Bloom.
"We also had pros from Puerto Rico and the Jamaican Surf team," Bloom said.
The junior pro division title went Evan Thompson, 16, a home-schooler from Jacksonville Beach.