- 08 October 2012 | Windsurfing
The 2012 PWA World Tour is over. Antoine Albeau, Jose "Gollito" Estredo, Philip Köster, Iballa Ruano Moreno, Valerie Arrighetti and Sarah-Quita Offringa have been crowned in the Slalom, Freestyle and Wave windsurfing world champions.
The last windsurfing event of the year promised an incredible finish. The Reno PWA Sylt World Cup provided an outstanding array of conditions, as anything from cross to cross offshore wave riding to perfect freestyle conditions hit Sylt over the 10 days of the event.
In the Men's Slalom, Bjorn Dunkerbeck came into the event with the world title lead, but unfortunately for the terminator things didn't go exactly his way over the duration of the event, and Antoine Albeau reclaimed his PWA Slalom World title.
"I am really happy to be number one in the world again. I think that the 2012 PWA Sylt World Cup has been a really big success because we got results for all three disciplines", says Albeau.
"It was another big battle for Bjorn for me, and I think this is one of my best world titles because I didn't have the best start at the beginning of the season, but I finished strong. Last I'm delighted to bring the title back home to France".
In the Men's Freestyle, Jose "Gollito" Estredo began the week in quest of an amazing fifth PWA Freestyle World title. With no discard available this year, nothing was guaranteed and Kiri or Steven Van Broeckhoven still had the potential to snatch the title from under Gollito's nose.
However, the Venezuelan was 100% focused throughout the week and he produced another exceptional performance to claim the event victory, and more importantly he secured his fifth world crown to cap an outstanding season, which has seen Gollito win every single elimination this year, and also re-stamps his authority over the freestyle world as the undisputed King of freestyle.
For sure I am really happy to win the world title again, I think for the fifth time. I would also like to thank all of the sponsors for this great event, it's brilliant to be in Sylt every year. Competing in these conditions is hard for sure, but we manage it", says Estredo.
In the Men's Wave Philip Köster and Victor Fernandez resumed their battle for the top two places. After Fernandez suffered an injury to his ankle he couldn't do enough to stop a rampaging Alex Mussolini.
On the final day of the event, Philip Köster took on Alex Mussolini as he looked to end his world championship winning year with a victory in the final event. This time around Köster managed to bust out a double foward on the way in to put himself in first place.
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Men's Slalom
1. Antoine Albeau (RRD / NeilPryde)
2. Bjorn Dunkerbeck (Starboard / Severne / Mystic / Dunkerbeck Eyewear / Chris Benz)
3. Micah Buzianis (JP / MauiSails)
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Men's Freestyle
1. Jose "Gollito" Estredo
2. Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra)
3. Steven Van Broeckhoven (JP / NeilPryde / Different)
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Men's Wave
1. Philip Köster (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)
2. Victor Fernandez (Fanatic / North)
3. Alex Mussolini (Tabou / Gaastra)
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Women's Wave
1. Iballa Ruano Moreno (Starboard / Severne)
2. Daida Ruano Moreno (Starboard / Severne)
3. Karin Jaggi (Patrik / Severne)
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Women's Slalom
1. Valerie Arrighetti (Tabou / Gaastra)
2. Karin Jaggi (Patrik / Severne)
3. Lena Erdil (Patrik / Loft / AL360)
The Official 2012 PWA World Rankings - Women's Freestyle
1. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / Gaastra / Mystic / Maui Ultra Fins / Chris Benz)
2. Laure Treboux (Fanatic / North)
3. Arrianne Aukes (RRD / Simmer / AL360 / Maui Ultra Fins)
Constructors Championship - Sail Brands