- 04 March 2013 | Windsurfing
The RS:X World Championships 2013 are underway in Búzios, Brasil. Byron Kokkalanis and Bryony Shaw take an early lead.
The second day of racing saw winds of 15 knots from the east. With five races completed, sailors discarded the worst result, which has changed a lot the score sheet.
Sailing at home, happy with the perfect condition, Ricardo "Bimba" Winicki won the first race of the day and, with a third and a fourth places, moved up to 5th position overall. The leader is the Greek rider Byron Kokkalanis.
"In the last one, I had a good start and fought with Dorian Van Rijsselberge and Nick Dempsey, gold and silver medals in London Games, the whole race", revealed "Bimba".
Nicky Dempsey also sailed well. With the discard, he appears in third place overall, two points behind the leader.
The girls also had three races and British windsurfer Bryony Shaw took the lead. The French Charline Picon regrets having lost the first place.
"I haven't sailed in these conditions in a while so it served as a test for me. Today was a bit more complicated. In the third race I made a mistake that cost me the leadership", she said.
Among the female Brazilian sailors, Patricia Freitas was the best placed in 13th overall. She had a good start, finishing ninth and seventh places, but in the third race she could not start well and ended up finishing in 18th place.
Men after 5 races:
1. Byron Kokkalanis, GRE, 9 points
2. Dorian Van Rijsselberge, NED, 10 points
3. Nick Dempsey, GBR, 11 points
4. Piotr Myszka, POL, 11 points
5. Ricardo Winick, BRA, 14 points
Women after 5 races:
1. Bryony Shaw, GBR, 10 points
2. Charline Picon, FRA, 13 points
3. Lee-El Korsiz, ISR, 14 points
4. Maayan Davidovich, ISR, 23 points
5. Qiaoshan Weng, CHN, 23 points