- 07 October 2013 | Windsurfing
Kiri Thode has been crowned the 2013 PWA Freestyle World Tour champion, by claiming the Sylt World Cup, in Germany.
The past ten days will remain in the memory of Kiri Thode for the rest of his life, after the Bonairean finally realized his dream of becoming the PWA Freestyle world champion, having come so close on many occasions before.
Kiri Thode produced a stunning comeback in the double elimination, as he fought back from fourth place in the single to claim the event title.
On his way to victory, Thode defeated Dieter van der Eyken in the battle for fourth and fifth, before ending the world title hopes of Jose ‘Gollito' Estredo.
Thode then took down fellow Bonairean Tonky Frans to set up a mouthwatering tie against the single elimination champion Steven van Broeckhoven.
The winners' final was held in light winds with both sailors on their largest sails - 5.2m and 5.4m respectively - and it was Thode who really excelled to force a super final.
Into the super final, Thode showcased his amazing light wind skills once more as he rotated through a barely planing culo and a trademark air bob to secure the event victory, and more importantly claim his maiden PWA Freestyle World title.
On the beach Thode was overcome by emotion as he realized his childhood dream.
"It's been a dream since I was six years old to be the freestyle world champion, and to be this close to it is amazing, I'm so close to realizing my dream. I'm so motivated right now and let's just see what happens", expressed Thode.
2013 PWA World Rankings - Men's Freestyle:
1. Kiri Thode (Starboard / Gaastra)
2. Jose ‘Gollito' Estredo (Fanatic / North)
3. Steven van Broeckhoven (JP / NeilPryde / Different)
4. Tonky Frans (Tabou / Gaastra)
5. Dieter Van der Eyken (Starboard / Severne)
6. Davy Scheffers (Tabou / Gaastra)
7. Anthony Ruenes (Tabou / Gaastra)
8. Taty Frans (Starboard / MauiSails / Mystic / Maui Ultra Fins)
9. Youp Schmit (JP / NeilPryde)
10. Philip Soltysiak (Starboard / Sailworks)