Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 20 July 2018 | Environment
A tidal wave of plastic debris invaded the water and sands of Playa Montesinos, in the Dominican Republic.
The disturbing video was released by Parley for the Oceans, a platform where creators, thinkers, and leaders raise awareness for the destructions of the oceans and collaborate on projects that put an end to their destruction.
Playa Montesinos is an urban beach located near the port of Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic.
- 05 July 2018 | Environment
Hawaii has officially banned reef-harming sunscreens from the archipelago.
The sale, offer of sale, and distribution of sunscreens that contain the chemicals oxybenzone and octinoxate will not be allowed in Hawaii from January 1, 2021.
Governor David Ige signed the bill that makes the State of Hawaii the first region in the world to prohibit sunscreens with toxic impacts in marine ecosystems, for example, coral bleaching.
- 15 June 2018 | Environment
McDonald's announced that its restaurants in the United Kingdom and Ireland will put an end to plastic straws in 2019.
The American fast food company is also trialing alternatives to the single-use plastic item in Belgium and select restaurants in the United States, France, Sweden, Norway and Australia.
The decision is a response to a global online petition named "McDonald's is polluting our oceans" which was signed by 500,000 people.
- John Van Hamersveld designs two murals for the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
- Pilot whale dies after ingesting 80 plastic bags
- European Union is ready to ban single-use plastics
- Offshore oil drilling prospects overshadow Portugal's surf appeal
- Kilauea volcano erupts in Hawaii's Big Island
- Great Pacific Garbage Patch: Everything you need to know about the giant plastic island