Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 23 October 2017 | Environment
The great white shark is the ultimate ocean predator. It is on the top of the food chain, and their only biggest living threat is humans.
Although great whites are not the largest sharks, they are the biggest predatory sharks living in the world's oceans.
It's every surfer's and beachgoer's worst nightmare, and one of the most analyzed and scrutinized marine creatures in TV shows, documentaries, and Hollywood movies.
- 11 October 2017 | Environment
Surfers will instantly recognize it as the iconic Australian surf brand founded in 1973 by Gordon Merchant. But, where does the name "billabong" come from?
According to etymologists - the historians who study the origin and the evolution of the words and their multiple meanings - there are two disputed sources for the origin of the term "billabong."
Nevertheless, the most reliable evidence yet is that the word derives from the Wiradjuri expression "bilaban," i.e., the creek or watercourse that runs only during and after the rain or rainy season.
- 22 September 2017 | Environment
Did you know that seasons are not the same for everyone? Have you ever heard of the six-season calendar?
Yes, the dates of when spring, summer, fall/autumn, and winter begin and end depend on anyone's perspective and nationality.
It is fair to recognize, though, that each season has its specific weather pattern, average air temperature, and length of daylight; nature also changes accordingly.
- What is a hurricane?
- Oceana sues US Government over failure to protect species from drift nets
- Norwegian billionaire builds a vessel that collects trash
- Court orders Vinod Khosla to open gate to Martins Beach
- Largest ever iceberg breaks off from Antarctica
- Scientists discover fungus that degrades plastic