Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 01 June 2017 | Environment
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is expecting an above-average hurricane season in 2017.
According to the NOAA forecasters, there's a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only about a 20 percent chance that the season will be below-normal.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and runs through November 30, and NOAA predicts between 11 to 17 tropical storms (winds of 39 mph or higher).
- 25 May 2017 | Environment
What are the odds of being bitten by a shark? The question posed by a TMZ news reporter gets an odd answer from Laird Hamilton.
Mosquitoes kill 750,000 people every year. Shark attacks are responsible for about ten deaths worldwide. Humans are not the predator's favorite meal.
Nevertheless, unprovoked shark attacks occur on a regular basis nearly everywhere in the world. And according to big wave surfing legend Laird Hamilton, the main reason behind these attacks is women's menstruation.
- 18 May 2017 | Environment
A new study reveals that the small island is home to 671 plastic items per square meter, the highest density ever recorded.
The Henderson Island is a desert island located in the South Pacific. It belongs to the Pitcairn Islands, a British Overseas Territory.
Despite being named a World Heritage Site by the United Nations in 1988, the 14.4 square-mile island (37.3 square kilometers) is now considered the world capital of plastic trash.