Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 05 June 2018 | Environment
A small pilot whale died after swallowing 80 plastic bags.
The marine animal was found struggling to breathe and swim in a Thai canal in Songkhla, near the Malaysia border.
A group of local rescuers tried to save the male pilot whale's life by keeping it afloat and using umbrellas to protect its skin from the sun's rays.
- 29 May 2018 | Environment
The European Commission proposed a set of rules that will ban and dramatically reduce the use of single-use plastics in the 28 member states of the European Union (EU).
The executive arm of the EU is ready to target the ten single-use plastic products most often found on Europe's seas and beaches which constitute 70 percent of all marine litter items.
The Commission's proposals aim to put Europe ahead of the curve on an issue with planetary implications.
- 17 May 2018 | Environment
The Portuguese government authorized the Galp-ENI consortium to start an oil prospection program in Aljezur, off the country's southwest coast.
In 2017, Portugal welcomed over 20 million tourists. It was a historic year for a country with a population of around 10 million.
Known for its welcoming spirit, food, beaches, and history, Portugal is also becoming one of the most popular surfing destinations on the planet with plenty of pristine surf breaks, from north to south, and all around the archipelagos of Azores and Madeira.
- Kilauea volcano erupts in Hawaii's Big Island
- Great Pacific Garbage Patch: Everything you need to know about the giant plastic island
- Scientists inadvertently develop an enzyme that eats plastic faster
- The truth about plastic pollution
- Surf conservation conference earns sustainable event certification
- LED light-up surfboards could deter shark attacks