Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 12 June 2018 | Environment
The Friends of Cabrillo Marine Aquarium will unveil two new murals by American artist John Van Hamersveld, in San Pedro, California.
The ocean-themed murals mounted on aluminum panels will be installed on the back of Aquarium's marquee sign and also will wrap around its gift shop.
The Aquarium, a facility of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks, is part of the new state-designated San Pedro Cultural Arts District due to its design by world-famous architect Frank Gehry.
- 05 June 2018 | Environment
A small pilot whale died after swallowing 80 plastic bags.
The marine animal was found struggling to breathe and swim in a Thai canal in Songkhla, near the Malaysia border.
A group of local rescuers tried to save the male pilot whale's life by keeping it afloat and using umbrellas to protect its skin from the sun's rays.
- 29 May 2018 | Environment
The European Commission proposed a set of rules that will ban and dramatically reduce the use of single-use plastics in the 28 member states of the European Union (EU).
The executive arm of the EU is ready to target the ten single-use plastic products most often found on Europe's seas and beaches which constitute 70 percent of all marine litter items.
The Commission's proposals aim to put Europe ahead of the curve on an issue with planetary implications.
- Offshore oil drilling prospects overshadow Portugal's surf appeal
- Kilauea volcano erupts in Hawaii's Big Island
- Great Pacific Garbage Patch: Everything you need to know about the giant plastic island
- Scientists inadvertently develop an enzyme that eats plastic faster
- The truth about plastic pollution
- Surf conservation conference earns sustainable event certification