Wind power in Denmark: 5,000 turbines at work | Photo: CGP Grey/Creative Commons

Denmark produced 140 percent of its electricity needs through wind power.

On the 10th July 2015, the country enjoyed an unusually windy day and produced more energy than its domestic consumption.

As a result, Denmark's wind turbines exported 40 percent of the surplus power to neighbors.

Germany and Norway received 80 percent of the excess wind energy, while Sweden took the remaining 20 percent.

Denmark has more than 5,000 wind turbines across the country and in offshore platforms. The Danish government supports wind power.

The local authorities believe that green sources will produce half of its energy needs before 2020 and 84 percent by 2035.

"It shows that a world powered 100 percent by renewable energy is no fantasy. Wind energy and renewables can be a solution to decarbonization - and also security of supply at times of high demand," Oliver Joy, a member of the European Wind Energy Association, told The Guardian.

At the end of 2014, Denmark had a wind power capacity of 4,792 MW.

The Nordic country's biggest wind turbine manufacturers with local production facilities are Vestas and Siemens Wind Power.

Top Stories

Many will recognize him for his red beanie and his regular appearances on television during the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Jacques Cousteau was the guardian of the ocean.

In the age of artificial intelligence, robotics, and automation, it's hard to come up with a truly disruptive idea. Reflect Orbital is an exception.

Nature never seizes to surprise us. The Great Blue Hole in the Caribbean Sea is an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience for the human senses.

The records of global surface temperature started in 1850. Since then, Humanity has been able to register, analyze, and compare the evolution and shifts in warmth and coolness throughout the world.