A small pilot whale died after swallowing 80 plastic bags.
The marine animal was found struggling to breathe and swim in a Thai canal in Songkhla, near the Malaysia border.
A group of local rescuers tried to save the male pilot whale's life by keeping it afloat and using umbrellas to protect its skin from the sun's rays.
Although the animal vomited five plastic bags during the rescue operation, it wasn't able to resist the ingestion of 80 plastic bags and other plastic items.
The necropsy revealed a tragedy: the pilot whale had consumed more than 17 pounds (7.7 kilograms) of plastic. In other words, it's toxic food inside a living being.
According to biologists and scientists, whales mistake plastic bags for food, making them feel full and reducing its instinct to feed.
Plastic pollution of killing thousands of marine animals every year. There are eight million tons of bags and bottles being dumped in the world's oceans, every year.