How to strap a surfboard to a car without racks
- 15 February 2018 | Surfing
Learn how to transport one or more surfboards on top of your vehicle without having to install permanent car roof racks.
Whether you're a fan of surfboard roof racks or not, it's always good to know how you can transport them safely on top of your car, and without damaging it.
In some situations, you just don't have time to install racks you have at home because the surf is too good for you to lose time.
And when the surfboard is too big to fit in your car, then all you've got is this simple, quick and easy method.
All you need is two large and wide pieces of thick, closed-cell EVA foam pads and a couple of straps. You can easily find the equipment you need in a DIY retail store.
The goal is to make sure that board is not going to move around too much while you're driving, and it won't dent the roof of your car.
Here's how you should put a surfboard on the roof of your car:
1. Drop the front EVA foam pad near the windshield;
2. Put the back EVA foam block near the trunk door or antenna;
3. Put the surfboard on top of your car with your fins facing up;
4. Double check if the board only touches the foam pads, and not the vehicle;
5. Throw one strap on the front, and another one in the back;
6. Open all four doors;
7. Put the two cam buckles on the inside and in the middle of the car;
8. Go to the other side of the car and thread the strap through the buckle, always from the bottom up;
9. Tighten the straps, but don't over-tight them;
10. Twist the straps on top of surfboard to keep them from humming at high speeds;
Remember always to spread the foam pads far apart where the roof line is stiffer. If you want, you can stack up to two boards using this hack.
Also, ensure you have good eye contact with the board while you're driving - if it's moving around too much, immediately pull over and tighten the straps.
And yes, for various reasons, it is always better and safer to place the surfboard with the tail pointing forward, and the nose on the back of the car.
Finally, avoid running the straps through the windows. There are no real advantages, and you will not be able to open the doors of your car and get out easily.