Porcella and Dupont win 2022 Ride of the Year
Justine Dupont was named the surfer of the year at the 2022 Red Bull Big Awards.
The French big wave surfer won two major divisions at the event that celebrates big wave surfing accolades.
The surfer from Bordeaux claimed Ride of the Year and Biggest Tow for her performances in Jaws (August 13, 2021) and Nazaré (January 8, 2022).
Dupont, who has been chasing the planet's largest swells and the Guinness World Record for the biggest wave ever surfed by a woman, had the best season of her career in 2021/2022.
After claiming the 2020/2021 Ride of the Year, Performer of the Year, and the Biggest Tow awards, she now adds two more trophies to her collection.
In the men's competition, Francisco Porcella won Ride of the Year for a spectacular showdown and a flawless wave at Jaws on November 2, 2021.
"It's been a dream of mine. This ride, these feelings - I'm still speechless. Thank you to Mother Ocean and Mahalo Pe'ahi," expressed the Italian born in New York."
The Biggest Tow award went to Mason Barnes for his eye-catching ride at Nazaré on February 26, 2022.
"I can't believe we found this dream wave in Nazaré on such a dangerous and tricky day. Winning the Big Wave Awards has been a dream of mine for years now," added the athlete from Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina.
"It's the best feeling in the world to bring this win back home to the East Coast. It's an honor to be winning by your side. This is just the beginning."
A Special Season
The Biggest Paddle of the year went to Billy Kemper and Annie Reickert for their stunts at Jaws/Peahi on November 2, 2021.
The winners of the 2022 Red Bull Big Wave Awards earned $350,000 in prize money. Videographers and photographers who captured the memorable moments also took home checks.
The period from April 1, 2021, to March 31, 2022, recorded over 300 photo and video submissions, making it one of the heaviest and most prolific big wave seasons of the last 20 years.
The evaluation panel of the Big Wave Awards features World Surf League (WSL) judges, former professional surfers, and big wave athletes.
The 2021/2022 extreme surfing season also declared Sebastian Steudtner the new Guinness World Record holder for the largest wave ever surfed.
On October 29, 2020, the German rode an 86-foot (26.21 meters) wave at Praia do Norte in Nazaré, Portugal.
The 2022/2023 Big Wave Award season kicks off on November 1, 2022, and runs through March 31, 2023.
2022 Red Bull Big Wave Awards | Winners
Ride of the Year
1. Francisco Porcella at Jaws on November 2, 2021
2. Billy Kemper at Jaws on November 2, 2021
3. Mikey Brennan at Shipstern Bluff on March 26, 2022
4. Lucas "Chumbo" Chianca at Nazaré on February 25, 2022
5. Pedro Scooby at Nazaré on December 13, 2021
1. Justine Dupont at Teahupo'o on August 13, 2021
2. Paige Alms at Jaws on January 9, 2022
3. Justine Dupont at Teahupo'o on October 6, 2021
4. Annie Reickert at Outer Reef Kahului on December 5, 2021
5. Michelle des Bouillons at Nazaré on February 10, 2022
1. Mason Barnes at Nazaré on February 26, 2022
2. João Macedo at Nazaré on February 25, 2022
3. Pedro Scooby at Nazaré on January 8, 2022
4. Nic Von Rupp at Nazaré on January 8, 2022
5. Lucas "Chumbo" Chianca at Nazaré on January 8, 2022
1. Justine Dupont at Nazaré on January 8, 2022
2. Michelle des Bouillons at Nazaré on December 11, 2021
3. Justine Dupont at Nazaré on January 8, 2022 (wave two)
4. Justine Dupont at Nazaré on January 8, 2022 (wave three)
5. Michelle des Bouillons at Nazaré on December 13, 2021
1. Billy Kemper at Jaws on November 2, 2021
2. Lucas "Chumbo" Chianca at Nazaré on January 12, 2022
3. Pedro Calado at Nazaré on January 12, 2022
4. Jamie Mitchell at Nazaré on February 9, 2022
5. Ben Andrews at Mavericks on January 11, 2022
1. Annie Reickert at Jaws on November 2, 2021
2. Justine Dupont at Nazaré on November 19, 2021
3. Katie Mae McConnell at Himalayas on January 22, 2022
4. Paige Alms at Jaws on November 2, 2021
5. Raquel Heckert at Himalayas on January 22, 2022