Philip Köster makes dream return at Pozo Izquierdo
- 17 July 2017 | Windsurfing
Philip Köster and Daida Moreno claimed the 2017 Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival, in the Canary Islands.
Despite the small wave conditions, the weather gods have once again blessed the Spanish wave sailing event with 40-knot plus winds.
Three-time PWA world champion Philip Köster returned after injury, surgery, and rehabilitation with a narrow win over Victor Fernandez at Pozo Izquierdo.
"It's no secret that the last year has been really tough for me with lots of physio and rehab - for the last three or four months I've been going to the physio for 6-8 hours each day, so it's definitely been the toughest year of my life," revealed the German-Spanish windsurfer.
"I also wasn't sure that after such a serious injury whether I'd be able to windsurf to the same level as before - particularly jumping - but everyone around me has been so positive, and I've worked really hard to come back as strong if not stronger than before."
In the women's division, the Moreno dominance continued, and it was all about knowing who was going to raise the trophy - Iballa or Daida? In the end, Daida made sure she kept ruling the spot.
"I don't know everybody is asking me when I'm going to retire and if I'm not tired of winning all the time, but I'm not. It's my home spot, and it's the place where I most like to win because I train so many hours over the year here and I still have the drive and desire to win," explained Daida Moreno.
"So as long as I have sponsorship and help from the industry and outside the industry then I will continue to give my best. I always want to try and perform bigger and better moves, but that isn't always possible without epic conditions."
2017 Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival | Top 5
1. Philip Köster (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)
2. Victor Fernández Official (Fanatic / NorthSails / Shamal Windsurfing Sunglasses)
3. Thomas Traversa (Tabou / GA Sails)
4. Ricardo Campello (Point-7)
5. Marcilio Browne (Goya Windsurfing)
1. Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)
2. Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)
3. Lina Erpenstein (Patrik / Severne)
4. Justyna Sniady (Simmer / Simmer Sails / Mystic)
5. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)