World title number 24 for Antoine Albeau
- 28 November 2017 | Windsurfing
The 2017 PWA World Tour season is over, and two new champions have been crowned in the turquoise waters of New Caledonia.
Antoine Albeau, the most successful professional windsurfer of all time, secured his 24th world title, after winning the last event of the year.
In fact, Albeau finished first in four of the six stages held in 2017. One question remains unanswered: who will dethrone the king of slalom in the upcoming seasons?
"It is always amazing to cross the finish line first. I was a little bit stressed for sure because until it's official, you can't rest easy. Matteo is capable of winning every race," explained the newly crowned 2017 PWA Slalom World Tour champion.
"Last year, it was a little bit hard for me because I wasn't super fast - especially in light winds, which then makes it difficult. Each year is different. There are a lot of variables: how you start the year, how strong is the wind going to be..."
Sarah-Quita Offringa had already locked in the slalom world title in Denmark, and finished second at the 2017 Airwaves Noumea Dream Cup, after a super stoked Delphine Cousin Questel.
"I'm very happy. It's an amazing feeling to be back at the top after a hard start of the season! I came here to win, so I'm glad to have reached that goal. I had a very good battle with Sarah," said Cousin, the 2017 slalom windsurfing vice-world champion.
2017 Airwaves Noumea Dream Cup | Top 5
1. Antoine Albeau (RRD / NeilPryde)
2. Matteo Iachino (Starboard / Point-7 / Shamal Sunglasses)
3. Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / NorthSails / Chopper Fins)
4. Marco Lang (Fanatic / NorthSails)
5. Sebastian Koerdel (Starboard / GA Sails)
1. Delphine Cousin Questel (Starboard / S2Maui)
2. Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins) 3. Marion Mortefon (Fanatic / NorthSails)
4. Lena Erdil (Starboard / Point-7 / AL360)
5. Lilou Granier