Environment News | Headlines and Top Stories
- 12 January 2010 | Environment
U2 guitarist David "The Edge" Evans is moving ahead with plans to build a mini-development of five homes high atop the hills of Malibu, CA, despite the objections of local residents.
The five mountaintop mansions, sitting on 156 acres, would feature panoramic views and will be built to Gold LEED standards.
Residents argue that this project could lead to water run-off, land erosion, wildlife endangerment and, of course, obstruction of views.
We can't help but wonder, wouldn't the most environmentally friendly mansion be the one that isn't built at all?
The development is currently awaiting review by the California Coastal Commission.
- 22 December 2009 | Environment
Today Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) campaigners have sent identifiable marine litter back to the manufacture wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper as part of the award winning Return To Offender campaign. These rubbish presents were found on beaches around the UK.
The Return To Offender campaign acknowledges that these manufacturers didn’t drop the litter on beaches themselves, but urges manufactures to improve their anti littering message, reduce their packaging, invest in low impact packaging and support grass roots anti-litter campaigns.
SAS supporters all around the UK can actively participant in the Return To Offender campaign. Simply downloading the Return To Offender letter from sas.org.uk sign it and send it to the manufacturers with their litter found on our beaches.
- 15 December 2009 | Environment
A massive iceberg is bearing down on Australia.
The iceberg, which is more than double the size of Manhattan, broke off from the Antarctic Shelf ten years ago and has been drifting ever since.
The iceberg, dubbed B17B, is approximately 1,000 miles from the coast of Australia.
- Surfers Against Sewage protest in London against climate chaos
- Surfers Against Sewage defend surfing reserves in the Scottish Parliament
- UK beaches will have poor water quality warnings
- GreenFix Surf Wax wins Eurosima's “Ecological Innovation" award
- Tom Curren will perform at “It’s About Sea Life Benefit 2”
- Dave Rastovich and Transparent Sea reaches halfway point