Welcome to SurferToday's online sunrise and sunset times calculator.
Check today's exact dawn and dusk time for any location on the planet. Find the solar noon for your desired place.
Our solar interface also displays the total daylight duration for your favorite destinations throughout the year.
All results take into consideration the Daylight Saving Time (DST) and time zones (from UTC-12:00 to UTC+14:00) of each world location.
Click on the map to get accurate sunrise and sunset times to the second.
A red line shows the Sun's direction on the live map in real-time.
What Is the Sunrise and Sunset Times Calculator Useful For?
The sunrise and sunset times calculator is a tool that determines the exact times of sunrise and sunset for a given location and date.
The interface uses information such as latitude, longitude, time zone, and altitude to compute the precise times when the Sun will rise above the horizon (sunrise) and set below the horizon (sunset).
These astronomical phenomena hide several curious and surprising secrets, many of which depend on the timezone and location on the planet.
SurferToday's application can be useful for various purposes, some of which include:
- Outdoor activities: Knowing the sunrise and sunset times can help plan outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, camping, or sports, ensuring you have enough daylight to complete your activities safely.
- Travel and navigation: Knowing the sunrise and sunset times can help travelers and navigators plan their journeys to avoid driving or sailing during low light conditions or periods of darkness.
- Photography: Photographers often seek the golden hour, which occurs shortly after sunrise or before sunset, when the Sun's light has a warm, soft quality. Knowing the exact times of sunrise and sunset can help photographers plan their shoots to capture the best possible lighting conditions.
- Aviation and meteorology: Pilots, air traffic controllers, and meteorologists use sunrise and sunset times to plan flights, schedule air traffic, and monitor weather conditions.
- Astronomy and stargazing: Amateur astronomers and stargazers can use sunrise and sunset times to plan their observations, as certain celestial events and objects are best viewed during twilight or complete darkness.
- Energy management: Sunrise and sunset times can help in determining the amount of daylight available for solar energy production, allowing for better planning and management of solar energy systems.
- Religious practices: Some religious observances and rituals, such as Muslim prayer times and the Jewish Sabbath, are determined by sunrise and sunset. A calculator can help followers of these faiths adhere to their religious practices more accurately.
- Gardening and agriculture: Knowing the amount of daylight can help gardeners and farmers plan their planting and harvesting schedules, as different plants have specific sunlight requirements for optimal growth.
- Wildlife observation: Sunrise and sunset times can be useful for those interested in observing wildlife, as many animals are more active during dawn and dusk.
- Health and well-being: Understanding sunrise and sunset times can help individuals maintain a healthy circadian rhythm by aligning their daily routines and sleep schedules with natural light patterns, thus promoting better sleep and overall well-being.
- Architecture and urban planning: Architects and urban planners can use sunrise and sunset times to design buildings and public spaces that optimize natural lighting, reduce energy consumption, and create comfortable environments for occupants.
- Film and television production: Knowing the sunrise and sunset times can help film and television crews schedule outdoor shoots, ensuring they capture scenes with the desired lighting conditions.
- Safety and security: By being aware of sunrise and sunset times, individuals can avoid potentially unsafe situations by not being outdoors or in unfamiliar areas during darkness, or they can plan to have adequate lighting and security measures in place.
- Cultural events and celebrations: Many cultures around the world have traditions and events centered around the Sun, such as solstice and equinox celebrations. A sunrise and sunset times calculator can help plan these events according to the Sun's position.
- Scientific research: Researchers studying various fields, such as ecology, climate, and atmospheric sciences, often need to know the sunrise and sunset times to plan their data collection, experiments, or observations.