Sarah-Quita Offringa celebrates 9th PWA Freestyle world title
- 01 August 2016 | Windsurfing
Antoine Albeau, Amado Vrieswijk, and Sarah-Quita Offringa have taken out the 2016 Fuerteventura PWA Grand Slam, in the Canary Islands, Spain.
The iconic windsurf spot delivered ten days of powerful winds, and all sailors proved they were able to challenge 40-knot conditions.
And we have a new world champion. Sarah-Quita Offringa, 25, won the event and got crowned the undisputed queen of freestyle windsurfing for the ninth time.
"I feel like I had a good event, and it was fun to sail in a different range of conditions - varying in wind strength and waves or waves, which gave everyone a chance to show their level," said Offringa.
"The thing that I enjoyed the most is that everyone was trying to push the level with Maaike and Oda going for the power moves, while Arrianne and Maxime are also pushing. Overall it's nice to see the level go up."
Amado Vrieswijk won his first ever PWA World Tour event, and he now leads the rankings. The final event of the season in Sylt will determine if he's got what it takes to claim the world title.
"I'm super stoked to win my first world cup event. We had some amazing conditions. Thanks to everyone for being here and congratulations to Yentel and Gollito as well. I look forward to coming back next year," added Vrieswijk.
In the fast and furious Slalom division, Albeau returned to the top of the podium. The French speed master won four bullets and made clear he will battle for another world title.
"I am so happy for this victory again here in beautiful Fuerteventura. Happy to be here with my little family as well. Thanks to all my sponsors for following me all these years," concluded Albeau.
2016 Fuerteventura PWA Grand Slam | Top 3
1. Amado Vrieswijk (JP / Severne)
2. Yentel Caers (JP / NeilPryde)
3. Gollito Estredo (Fanatic / NorthSails / MFC)
1. Sarah-Quita Offringa (NeilPryde / Starboard / Mystic / Maui Ultra Fins)
2. Maaike Huvermann (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)
3. Oda Johanne Stokstad Brødholt (Starboard / Severne Sails / Maui Ultra Fins)
1. Antoine Albeau (RRD / NeilPryde)
2. Ross Williams (Tabou / GA Sails / Mystic / Shamal Sunglasses)
3. Pierre Mortefon (Fanatic / NorthSails)