- 14 January 2016 | Surfing
Pub quizzes are increasingly popular across the globe. SurferToday designed the ultimate surf pub quiz for the flat days. Play it with your friends and family, at home or in your local pub and bar.
History facts, relevant dates, timeless surf contests, legendary heats, myths, iconic wave riders, surf spots, and major accomplishments. Do you think you know everything about surfing? Submit your knowledge to the test. And have fun while enjoying your favorite drink.
SurferToday developed a smart surf pub quiz for your non-surfing days, and for those cold Saturday nights. The game will require a minimum of three people - the quiz master, and two contestants - and it can be played by teams and groups of surfers.
The ultimate surf pub quiz game is comprised of four rounds with ten questions each. Each round features a different surf topic. Players are not allowed to use or touch their mobile phones, but team members can and should debate each question.
Players shall mark their answers in a white sheet. In the end, the sheet is delivered to the quiz master, and the correct answers are announced one by one. Finally, the referee checks each teams' answers, and a winner is proclaimed.
Print the following questions and enjoy the surf pub quiz game. And remember: no cheating.
Round 1 | History of Surfing
1. Where was Duke Kahanamoku born?
2. Where did crime novelist Agatha Christie learn how to surf?
b) South Africa
3) Which of these writers did not tried surfing?
a) Jack London
b) George Bernard Shaw
c) Roland Barthes
4) Where was the world's first artificial wave pool built?
a) Los Angeles
5) In surfing, what is a "Swastika"?
a) A surfboard
b) A surf maneuver
c) A surf movie
6) Who wrote surfing's first surf book "Hawaiian Surfboard"?
a) George Freeth
b) Tom Blake
c) Jack London
7) Who won the first edition of the Pipeline Masters?
a) Jeff Hakman
b) Gerry Lopez
c) Shaun Tomson
8) How were named the first world surfing championships?
a) Smirnoff World Pro-Am Surfing Championships
b) ISF World Surfing Championships
c) IPS World Circuit
9) Where did Laird Hamilton ride the Millennium Wave?
b) Todos Santos
10) Where was Miki Dora born?
Round 2 | Dates & Figures
1. When did Tom Morey invent the modern bodyboard?
2. When did Kelly Slater win his first world title?
3) At what age did Eddie Aikau lose his life at sea?
4) How many world titles has Kelly Slater won?
5. What's the minimum length of a longboard?
6) How big was Garrett McNamara's 2011 record wave at Nazare?
a) 75 feet
b) 78 feet
c) 80 feet
7) How many fins does a thruster surfboard have?
8) How many male surfers compete on the World Championship Tour (WCT)?
9) How many times did Sunny Garcia win the Triple Crown of Surfing?
10) How many Triple Crown of Surfing spots has the Seven Mile Miracle?
Round 3 | Surfers and Surf Spots
1) Who was the first Brazilian to win a world title?
a) Gabriel Medina
b) Adriano de Souza
c) Picuruta Salazar
2) Name the surf spot where Maya Gabeira nearly lost her life.
c) Shipstern Bluff
3) Where is Surf City USA?
b) North Carolina
4) Who didn't win a world title?
a) Derek Ho
b) Barton Lynch
c) Damien Hobgood
5) Where did Mark Foo lose his life?
c) Waimea Bay
6) What is Jeffreys Bay best known for?
a) Its long left-hander.
b) Its long right-hander.
c) Its long left-hander and sharks.
7) Where is Skeleton Bay located?
a) South Africa
8) Who was the first surfer to ride Pipeline?
a) Greg Noll
b) Dale Velzy
c) Phil Edwards
9) Which Germany city has a famous river wave?
10) Mullaghmore is a notorious big wave surf spot located in:
b) Northern Ireland
Round 4 | True or False
1) Kelly Slater has a twin brother.
2) Stephanie Gilmore won the Laureus World Sports Awards in 2010.
3) Hawaii celebrates the "Andy Irons Day" on the 13th February.
4) Kai Lenny doesn't know how to kitesurf.
5) Edward, Prince of Wales, surfed Hawaii in 1920.
6) Cloud 9 is a surf spot located in Siargao, Philippines.
7) In Hawaiian, "he'e nalu" means "I love surfing."
8) Mike Stewart is an accomplished bodyboarder and bodysurfer.
9) Mark Occhilupo won the ASP World Tour in 1999.
10) An excellent wave ride is scored between 7.00 and 10 points.
Answers (For Quiz Masters, Only)
R1: 1b; 2b; 3c; 4c; 5a; 6b; 7a; 8b; 9c; 10b;
R2: 1b; 2c; 3c; 4a; 5c; 6b; 7b; 8a; 9c; 10c;
R3: 1b; 2a; 3a; 4b; 5a; 6a; 7b; 8a; 9a; 10b;
R4: 1a; 2b; 3a; 4c; 5a; 6b; 7b; 8c; 9a; 10a;